We are the only literacy service available to adult non-readers and children struggling to read in Stokes and eastern Surry Counties. We offer free, private, confidential tutoring to anyone who would like to learn how to read.
We offer a free training program to prepare volunteers and we provide ongoing support when a tutor’s work with a student begins. The first portion of the tutor training is done online and takes about 5 hours to complete. A tutor generally spends 1-2 hours a week with their student once instruction begins.
Call Jeff Pratt at 336-816-7758 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To expand during the next several years by:
- Continuing high-quality instruction for tutors and students.
- Creating partnerships with various local agencies to develop and support literacy programs.
- Providing service to the justice system.
- Developing a program of support for struggling primary readers in partnership with Stokes County Schools.
- Developing summer and after-school programs for struggling readers.