You Will Be Glad You Did!!!!!
Since COVID, the number of kids who are stuggling to read has grown from about 1 in 5 to about 1 in 3. Here is a link to a podcast, which recently aired on NPR, that explains part of the problem. For parents of a struggling reader, it is well worth the 50 minutes it will take to listen to it. It is very enlightening.
Use AmazonSmile for Holiday Purchases
Click here to shop at AmazonSmile for your usual Amazon holiday purchases and support Buffalo Creek at the same time. Thank you, and have a wonderful holiday.
How Did the Holidays Get Here So Soon?
Buffalo Creek will be closed for the holidays from Tuesday, December 20th through Thursday, January 5th. We hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.
• Nationwide, on average, only 79% of U.S. adults are literate in 2022.
• 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2022.
• 54% of adults have a literacy level below 6th grade.
• Low levels of literacy cost the US up to 2.2 trillion per year.
• On average, nationwide, 66% of 4th-grade children in the U.S. could not read proficiently in 2013.
• 85% of juvenile offenders have problems reading.
• 60% of people in American prisons can’t read.
• 75% of people on welfare can’t read.
1. U.S. Department of Education Data Points Adult Literacy in the United States
2. NCES Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies
3. Digest of Education Statistics 2018
4. Literacy Project – 30 Key Child Literacy Stats Parents Need to Be Aware of
Duke Energy Award
We are proud and humbled to receive the 2022 Duke Energy Citizenship and Service Award. Thank you to the King Chamber of Commerce and Duke Energy.
Inclement Weather Policy
Unless notified otherwise by your tutor:
If Stokes County Schools are closed for inclement weather, Buffalo Creek will be closed as well.
If Stokes County Schools are on a delayed schedule or an early dismissal schedule, Buffalo Creek will not operate in schools. Your tutoring outside of school on those days will be canceled if your scheduled tutoring time falls before school opens on a delayed day or after students are released on an early dismissal day.
You can get information on Stokes County Schools’ delays and closings on our local news channel (WXII). We will also post our closing information on WXII.
Finally, a Real Home for Buffalo Creek. Coming in October.
Buffalo Creek Now a ProLiteracy Member
Thank You to Our Volunteers
I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for your time, your dedication, your skills and your belief in the importance of teaching students to read. The impact of the love and the kindness you show each time you tutor changes the life of your student in immeasurable ways. It is because of you that Buffalo Creek continues to grow and is able to continue to pursue our mission, one reader at a time. I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year. Thank you for what you do. You inspire me.